Update: SHELL REALLY FAILS!
To celebrate Shell’s era-defining Arctic drilling program, a gala is announced in Seattle’s historic Space Needle. The event goes haywire when a miniature rig-drink-dispenser malfunctions and sprays the guest of honor, the "widow" of the rig's designer (actually Dorli Rainey, 84-year-old pepper-spray victim), cueing frantic attempts to clean the unsightly spill with stuffed orcas and polar bears. The party is quickly followed by a new website, arcticready.com, which truly reflects the pioneering spirit of Shell’s energy vision. A number of journalists decide to publish a video taken by an "infiltrator," which brings global recognition to Shell’s destructive plans. And then it happens all over again.
- #ShellFAIL exposed (with behind-the-scenes video)
- How it fooled the internet—again (storify)
- How it worked the first time (storify)
- The "Occupy infiltrator's" account
- Greenpeace Save the Arctic campaign